The Beauty of Embossed Invitations

Embossed Detail of Calla Lily BeautyShopping for your wedding invitation is one of the most important tasks you will undertake as you plan your wedding. The first glimpse your guests will have of your wedding will be the invitation they receive and it will set the tone for your entire wedding celebration. Yet, for many brides, choosing a wedding invitation can be an experience filled with uncertainty and confusion. This is because there haven’t been many (if any) times in your life when you have had the opportunity of choosing a beautifully printed formal invitation. The whole process is often brand new.

As you go about the task of choosing “the one”, you will likely come across descriptive invitation terms that you may not understand. In this blog post, I’d like to acquaint you with one term, in particular: Embossing.  What does “embossing” really mean and how does it affect the look of your invitation?

Embossing is a technique in which a hand-tooled brass die is used to create an intricate design on the invitation card stock. But instead of the design being flat, it is raised to create a lovely, three-dimensional effect. When you run your hand over the design, you will feel the tactile, multi levels and complex detail. And when you look at the back of an embossed invitation, you will see how the paper has been pushed to the front to create the illusion of 3-D.

Exclusively Weddings’ invitation manufacturers use the finest hand-tooled U.S.-made dies and a close-up view of the design reveals its intricacy. The extreme detail in the design is what makes it so beautiful, even though it is in a size small enough to fit on an invitation.

The embossed design can be the same color as the paper or to further enhance its beauty, other techniques are often employed. You may see a colored ink applied prior to embossing and you may see shimmery pearlessence added to create a dazzling finish. In addition, the application of silver or gold metallic can also be added or paired with the embossed design for lots of pizzazz.

No matter how good the photography is, it is very difficult to capture the beauty and detail of embossing. Exclusively Weddings offers free invitation samples so you can see (and feel) the beauty of embossing first hand. When it comes to embossed designs, really, the bottom line is “you just have to feel it to believe it!”

The Pearl Pleasure invitation below has a pearl border that is “trapped” by a multi-level embossed frame. Lots of shimmer! The enlarged portion below shows the embossing but you have to see it in person to get the full effect of the pearl sheen.
Pearl Pleasure

Sea Treasures is embossed with a finely detailed motif, which is completely accented in pearl.
Sea Treasures

Below is sumptuous Twin Hearts … embossed and then accented in silver metallic.
Twin Hearts

Old World Elegance has a beautiful, wide embossed border with lots of detail.
Old World Elegance

Calla Lily Beauty below has a lovely and intricate embossed design.
Calla Lily Beauty

Exclusively Weddings offers free invitation samples to make it easier for you to choose “the one”!

Comments (0)

• Erica

I am very interested in the World elegance invitation. Can I order my envelopes and RSVP cards with addresses of my guests? If the company doesn’t do that , what are your recommendations ? Thank you.

March 31, 2015 at 1:58 pm
    • Exclusively Weddings

Hi Erica, I love that invitation, too! It is so lovely! The RSVP envelopes will have your address printed on them so they will come to you. (or whatever address you want.) The invitations themselves will come with your return address printed, if you want it. The only thing we don’t do is address the envelopes with your guests names on it. Thanks so much, Erica and best wishes!

April 2, 2015 at 11:37 am
  • Marisol & James

Hi! I have to admit that at first choosing our wedding invitations was pretty difficult for us as a couple especially because we been 17 yrs together and we finally about to tie the knot! At first my fiancé want to be part of everything including choosing our invitations but ” he called me to picky”” I found that funny but was very true.. Planning a 200 people invite to the wedding and to please everyone from start to end ( my thoughts) .. and the same time feel happy with what your choosing it’s very hard. I was looking for ” that one” invitations and whole set, that set that got it all and same time match for our wedding theme. The one that can impressed me and same time everyone who is invite, that when they hold my invitations in their hands it be that happy omg, a smile or look that say it all and a immediate reaction that says this invitations are just beautiful!! I was looking for the one that will be just not too much not too simple but just perfect and can caught the eye to speak when they receive it .. It took me 4 months places to places ( by the way my fiancé give up on being part of choosing invitations together and all he told me was ” surprised me”). I was about to give up on what I really want and choose anything convenience one, when I found this website. I was not fully convince but once I received the free samples… Woohoo!!! Everything took a different turn I had found the perfect one!!! First Dance invitations and RSVP cards envelopes… Perfect design, quality and imprint looks, our color ink, able to express our feelings in the mid section of invitations, classy look and affordable price. I place order and got my order On time. I have to say it was exactly what I was expecting to be… “The one”… I was very impressed, the invitations, RSVP cards and envelopes was just perfect!! Then I close his eyes and prepared the invitation envelope and told him the mail man dropped an envelope for him to open carefully, he opens and it brought watery eyes and a surprise look on his eyes… all he had to say to me… ” I’m glad I’m going to marry the right woman” … Funny it took my fiancé to see the invitations to realize we been 17 yrs together he always been with the right woman 🙂 I was only in the wrong places looking for invitations … He told me “”omg you really did … You really surprised me”” … Thank you so much to Exclusively Weddings and everyone who work on it !!! I hope everyone can feel as happy as we do with our invitations and more that we order from this website and we feel 100% satisfy with their quality of their work! My order was on time thank you!!
    My invitations and RSVP cards amazing!!!! For the rest of order all I have to say was just perfect !!!
    Thank you!! Marisol & James

May 30, 2015 at 8:31 am
    • Exclusively Weddings

Oh, Marisol, thank you so much for sharing your story! We couldn’t be more delighted that we could be a part of making your wedding so special and that we had just the right invitation for you! Please accept our very best wishes to you and James for continued happiness together.

Warm regards,
      Exclusively Weddings

June 1, 2015 at 5:05 pm
  • Emily

Hi! I like the pearl pleasure invitation very much and am thinking to use it as my wedding invitation. My only concern is, since my invitation content needs to be bilingual — English and Chinese — it would be very helpful if there is a font available for the Chinese language. It would also be great if the format of the invitation can be adjusted to better accommodate bilingual language.

If all above are far from possible, would it be okay to purchase blank invitation cards and envelopes?

Thank you!

May 12, 2016 at 10:34 am
    • Exclusively Weddings

Hi Emily, Exclusively Weddings has English fonts only. Please contact our call center to ask about blank invitations: 1.800.759.7666. Thanks so much and best wishes!

Sher