How to Make Tissue Paper Pom-Poms

Click to enlargeTissue paper Pom-Poms add a festive flair to a wedding and reception. They are very easy to make and at a cost of under $5, you will get a lot of bang for your buck.

If you want to make decorative pom-poms, I’ve put together detailed instructions for you below.

I have found that they turn out looking great, even if you don’t do a perfect job of folding, cutting, etc.

Before you begin, you’ll need the following supplies:

1.  Sharp scissors to trim the ends of the pom-pom
2.  Cable ties, pipe cleaners,  floral wire or monofilament fishing line to secure the center of your “accordion stack”.
3.  Monofilament fishing line if you are going to hang your pom-pom
Cable ties, floral wire, and monofilament fishing line can be purchased online at places like Amazon or at a craft store.

Start with tissue paper approximately 20″ x 30″. The package
used in the instructions has 10 sheets and it makes a nice, full pom-pom.
It is from Exclusively Weddings, item #107-1710.
Start with a package of tissue paper

There are two ways to approach this project. One way is to open the stack all the way and start folding at the shorter side. Or the other choice is to leave one fold in the stack of tissues (as shown below) and start folding at the folded side, which is the approach shown here. Tissue size is approximately 20 x 30

Starting at the folded side, fold the tissue in an accordion fold with each fold about one-and a half to 2 inches wide. The photo below is of a finished accordion stack.
Start folding in accordion folds about 1-2 inches wide

The next step is to secure the folded tissue in the center of the accordion stack. Use a pipe cleaner, floral wire. monofilament fishing line or a cable tie. A cable tie was used below. If you are going to hang your pom-pom, go ahead now and attach the monofilament line to whatever you used to secure the center. Monofilament fishing line works well because it is somewhat invisible. Just tie the length you want to the cable tie. If you want to hang your pom-poms with something decorative, you can use ribbon.
Put a cable tie around the folded tissue

After securing the tissue, trim each end, with scissors, in to a rounded shape or pointed shape, as shown below. Then start separating the first piece of tissue and pulling it away from the folded portion and continue doing this with all the pieces. The next three photos below show this step in process.
Start separating and adjusting each piece of tissue.
Adjusting in process

After all pieces have been pulled out, you can now adjust and fluff the pieces to get it “perfect”.

Voilà!  The finished Pom-Pom!Completed Pom Pom

In this photo the pom-pom on the right was made following these instructions. The one on the left was made with the tissue paper opened out entirely. The one on the right is a little bit smaller and is shaped a ittle more like a flower.
Pom-Poms

See our blog post for lots of pictures and info about pom-poms and our Wedding Lanterns and Pom-Poms Pinterest Board, as well.

In case you want to print out the instructions, here are the instructions in an abbreviated format.

How to make tissue paper pom-poms

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask in our Comments section. I’ll be glad to help you!

EW - blog product2

Comments (17)

• items of vintage clothing

whoah this blog is great i really like studying your articles.
    Keep up the great work! You already know, a lot of people are hunting around for this information, you could aid them
    greatly.

April 17, 2013 at 2:39 pm
  • Micheal

I am in fact happy to glance at this web site posts which consists of tons of useful facts, thanks for providing such information.

April 20, 2013 at 1:02 am
  • Lawanna Hays

I am planning and hoping to have a wedding next may so I am trying my best to get started right now to get the invites, save the dates, thank you cards, decorations all saved up and made up and put them away till that date so they are ready then. You have provided me with great money saving tips and lots of how to’s on how to do things yourself and for less money. Thank You.

February 14, 2014 at 10:35 pm
    • Exclusively Weddings

Thanks so much, Lawanna. You are smart to get started early. I’m so glad you have enjoyed my posts!
      Best wishes,
      Sher Silver

February 14, 2014 at 11:10 pm
  • Carol

Do we get coloured tissue paper in India and also can we make these with satin cloth or any other material.

September 3, 2014 at 2:43 am
    • Exclusively Weddings

HI Carol, The material would need to be stiff enough to hold the shape. I don’t know if you can get tissue paper in India. Perhaps check in a local party store, if you have one.

Many thanks and best wishes!
      Sher

September 4, 2014 at 10:41 am
  • Amanda

Your instruction seem easy enough but mine turned out nothing like yours. I started with the folded edge and then had a hard time figuring out how to unfold them from themselves without ripping. Super cute idea I will just have to keep at it and maybe I will get it right.

March 16, 2015 at 5:11 pm
    • Sher Silver

Amanda, when I made those it was my first time! To unfold your “accordion” stack just pull the first fold away from the others and the keep going with the 2nd fold, etc … sort of “fluff” it out. Did you get your tissue from Exclusively Weddings? We sell a high quality tissue. I wonder if the tissue is too thin ?? I didn’t have any tearing issues at all in the process. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help!

Warm regards,
      Sher

March 17, 2015 at 8:41 am
  • Kimbooly

I assume that when I secure the accordian tissue in the middle, I can pull it tight? The tie above looks as though it’s not pulled tight (which would make the tissue bunch right at the point of where it’s tied).

April 6, 2015 at 2:09 am
    • Exclusively Weddings

Hi Kim,

Yes, it can be pulled tight but if you want to add ribbon so you can hang it, add it before you pull really tight or you won’t be able to slip the ribbon in between the tie and the tissue. I hope this makes sense!

Best wishes!
      Sher

April 6, 2015 at 7:48 pm
  • charyl

I think I’m missing a step…before making the accordion folds, do you make folds before that?

May 27, 2015 at 3:18 pm
    • Exclusively Weddings

Hi Charyl, Just fold over one time size 20″ x 30″ stack of tissue as shown in the 2nd photo of the instructions. Starting at the folded side, start making your accordion folds. I hope that helps. Please let me know how it goes!

Sincerely,
      Sher

May 29, 2015 at 9:10 am
  • Kafayat

cool, this blog is so interesting. simple, explicit and easy to understand. I enjoyed practicing mine.

June 17, 2016 at 8:11 am
  • Kimberly Reagin

Whzsat are the 2016 fall colors other then purple and orange

July 18, 2016 at 2:29 pm
    • Exclusively Weddings

There are a lot of color choices for Fall weddings. You can have cranberry or burgundy, forest green or meadow green, harvest golds, chocolate brown or warm taupe, grey, mauve, and slate blue. Best wishes!

July 19, 2016 at 2:00 pm
  • Jean cole

I make these all the time, I found that using a bobbypin in the middle works best..I decorate halls and some have big round poles, so when I make my Pom poems I just hot glue to inexpensive ribbon and wrap around poles

October 7, 2016 at 8:01 pm