THE Purple Cake – Revisited

Purple Cake - Click for large viewWe’ve had so much “buzz” about February’s “Purple Cake” post that we wanted to do an update for you. The original post can be found here: The Wedding Cake That Went Viral on Pinterest. BTW, the cake’s Pinterest photo now has over 21,000 repins!

Also, we now have two Pinterest Boards for cakes: Colorful Wedding Cakes and White Wedding Cakes  …. over 460 luscious wedding cakes to help you choose your own special confection.

As mentioned in the February post, the popular purple/black cake was created by Jen Kwapinski of Jen’s Cakes in San Jose, CA. She kindly provided more details about the cake:
Design Name:  “Mod Damask”
Number of People Served: Approximately 100
Icing:  Butter Cream
Butterflies: Fondant
Trim: Satin Black Ribbon
Scrollwork: Hand Piped
Flavors: Top – Double Chocolate Kahlua Cake w/ Chocolate Mousse filling
Middle – Double Chocolate Kahlua cake w/ Chocolate Mousse filling
Bottom – Banana Cake w/ Bavarian Cream Filling

The wedding photographer was Ken Kato and he has graciously provided additional photos for inspiration and ideas. These new photos show the overall wedding décor and how perfectly the cake and décor complement each other.

Newlywed's Table and Chairs Décor

Detail of Bride and Groom's Table

Place setting detail

Table décor including cake

Decor detail

Comments (0)

• Italian Porcelain

The newest trend in wedding invitations is matching invitations to your wedding color motif, and a new luxurious trend for weddings is purple. I love how the table setting the most.

April 1, 2012 at 10:38 pm
  • C Caldwell

Goregous! I’ve been looking for ideas with those colors for my wedding! This is perfect, Thanks for sharing!!

April 3, 2012 at 6:57 pm
    • Exclusively Weddings

You’re very welcome! We work hard to find ideas that will be helpful to brides. It’s always nice to hear that something posted was useful. Best wishes to you! ~EW

April 4, 2012 at 4:07 pm
  • Pam

Love it! These are my exact colors for my wedding! Are those fresh flowers or silk? What types of flowers are those?

May 2, 2012 at 1:15 pm
    • Exclusively Weddings

Hi Pam, I got the pictures from the photographer who shot the wedding so I don’t have the exact information on the items that were used. I do know that the flowers were done by Nicole Ha and her contact info is: Nicole Ha Designs – nicoleha@gmail.com. Phone: 408-421-0388. She is in San Diego, CA. Thanks so much for visiting our blog!

May 2, 2012 at 9:01 pm
  • Misty

I absolutely love the centerpiece!! Where did you find that?

May 2, 2012 at 2:33 pm
    • Exclusively Weddings

Hi Misty, the pictures were from the photographer who shot the wedding so I don’t have the details on where the bride got the items she used. I agree that it is fabulous! Thanks so much for stopping by!

May 2, 2012 at 8:54 pm
  • maymay

Hi everyone! Thanks for loving my purple, black & bling/butterfly theme wedding!! ^___^v I purchased the centerpiece from Michaels during Halloween season back in 2010. The flowers were all fresh purple lisianthus. My invitation photo is not here, but it matched my wedding theme perfectly. Please comment if you have more questions!

June 6, 2012 at 6:48 pm
  • amie

Just so you are all aware, be sure that if you are choosing purple as a color for your wedding, (I did, as it is my favorite color,) you should also be sure to choose a reliable and experienced photographer. Also, that any one using personal cameras to take any photos that are of any importance to you (or them) is using a decent camera. ALL (as in- every single one) of my wedding photos, both personal and professional, were completely ruined by the fact that any and everything in them that was purple appeared in the prints to be an absolutely awful shade of blue. The exact same thing happened to my Aunt when she got married. Hopefully this will save someone else’s wedding memories from being ruined in the same way.

August 21, 2014 at 7:20 am
    • Exclusively Weddings

Hi Amie and thanks for sharing your experience. Some colors are hard to get “right” when using a digital camera and many photographers will adjust it in Photoshop if it is not accurate. It is easy to adjust color. Have you discussed this situation with the photographer?

Best wishes,